CROWN & BRIDGE
Crowns are dental restorations also known as “caps” which are coverings that fit over teeth. Crowns may be necessary because of broken down old fillings, fractured, chipped or sensitive teeth. Crowns are also used to improve the appearance of natural teeth that are malformed, mal positioned or discolored. Crowns can be made from different materials which include the full porcelain crown, the porcelain fused-to-metal crown and the all-metal crown.
Some of the indications for a crown are:
- A previously filled tooth where there now exists more filling than tooth.
- The existing tooth structure becomes weakened and can no longer support the filling.
- Extensive damage by decay.
- Discolorations and compromised esthetics.
- Root canal – After root canal, teeth tend to become brittle and are more prone to fracture. These teeth need to be protected by a crown.